Well folks, just like that its the 5th day of 2016. Christmas went by in the blink of an eye. We stayed in Dallas and spent time with Bryan’s family. It was a wonderful Christmas. Then, for New Years, we went camping with some of our close friends. It was FREEZING. I don’t believe we could have had enough clothes to keep us all warm. But we made the best of it, and still had a blast.
Now that the holidays are over and we are getting back into our normal routines, I have been thinking about my goals and about what this year will hold for me and for our family. I have always been one to make resolutions, but they always seemed petty, and they definitely weren’t SMART: eat healthier, work out more, be a better friend..but none of those resolutions could be measured.
The past 2 years Bryan and I have set SMART goals in the areas that matter most to us:
These brainstorming sessions usually take a while, but it is sweet to see our hopes and dreams unfold into detailed goals for each of us each year. So, I thought I would share a few of mine with y’all. Mainly, for my own benefit.
But before I do that, I want to share my word for the year: PRESENT I truly believe we can all be more PRESENT. In a world full of social media and chaos, things are always trying to grab our attention. This year I am making a constant effort to be more PRESENT in my relationships (be that Bryan, Caleb, family, or community) and my work. For me, it starts each morning by daily surrendering each day to the Lord and giving him my desires for the day and asking him to replace them with His, and help me to set down the device, the random thoughts, and turn off the tv and focus on those around me.
- completely read through Join the Journey
- read through the Bible (it’s not as daunting as it sounds, we’ve done it the past 2 years and it has enriched our spiritual lives so much)
- memorize 2 verses each month
- memorize Colossians 4 and sharpen Colossians 1-3
- continue to lead and direct in each season of Equipped Disciple
- complete 4 half days of prayer
- visit Haiti again (February 11-16) and meet Ivenson
- take Piloxing 2x a week
- take Yoga 1x a week
- workout 4 days a week
- continue to eat whole foods
- year free of gluten and diary
- continue to daily take Juice Plus
- train for and climb 14er in July with Bryan
- read 12 books (1 each month) I am following along with Nancy Ray’s book club
- post in family blog 2x a month
- take a photography class and purchase a nice camera
- serve in Spring semester of Apples of Gold (our churches cooking class for young married women)
- declutter/simplify/organize home
- meal plan weekly
- find mentor and meet monthly
- send 1 encouraging snail mail weekly
- attend Hope Mommies Retreat (February 5-7)
- date Bryan bi-weekly
- write in Caleb’s journal monthly
- plan for and take vacation with Bryan
- visit family in Alabama (hopefully 2x)
- send out Christmas cards
- plan and throw a birthday party for Caleb’s 2nd birthday
- plan monthly for newsletter and have one day of cooking
- attend Juice Plus Conference and Bootcamp
- share JP with 4 people monthly (1 each week)
I have decided to break these down into monthly goals in hopes of actually achieving them.
My goals for January are:
- take piloxing 8x
- take yoga 4x
- read How to Win Friends and Influence People
- read Helping Without Hurting (training book for Haiti)
- send out 3 Whole Bar Newsletters
- mail 4 encouraging letters
- memorize Romans 4:20-21 and Psalm 40:1
- clean out master bedroom
- visit Magnolia Market with friends
I hope this post encourages you if you already have goals or not. If you do not have goals, I hope this encourages you to create some. We only grow through adversity, and goals definitely bring adversity. I know there are a lot of goals on this list, but I am confident I can tackle them all, with the help from the Lord and those around me. So I hope y’all will help hold me accountable to these goals. So here’s to 2016 and goals!